Thursday, October 16, 2003

So... I've been thinking alot about food lately (gee wonder why) OK Obsessing about it is MUCH more like it.

Every time I am hungry I have to have a talk with myself (in my head, hopefully without my lips moving) about WHAT I am going to eat, if I am going to eat and IF I am really hungry.

The weight loss thing is working, but it is really mentally tiring that is for sure. If I didn't have Teru going though a similar thing I would get totally fed up and depressed (like my other diets) and convince myself that a big piece of cake is EXACTLY what I need, instead of what I don't need...

At times it is pretty easy, but even when I was really ill yesterday I had to watch myself from eating too much of my hamburger and chips while I was talking with a friend at lunch. She was chatting away about work and I was munching and pretty soon the food I set out for myself to eat was gone and I was about to eat the rest on my plate. The simple fact that I ate fast and was paying attention to her instead of concentrating on the food almost made me eat more. (And I WOULD have eaten more in the past without even thinking about it)

I think I am the quintessential habit eater. I eat out of habit, out of nervousness, out of boredom, out of stress, out of sadness, and out of opportunity (like yesterday) OK I just eat all of the time

But it is not too late to change your habits, as Teru is teaching me. I am finding this is not really a diet, but something I will have to do long-term to really make an impact on my life.




No comments: