Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Travel Day 6 Boston Bound

Tuesday:

I set the alarm for 7 but when it goes off I simply move back into the bedroom from the couch and snuggle with S for a while. Finally at 7:30 we both get up. He showers and I clean and tidy the apartment and move all of the luggage out into the front hall. We open the door at 8 and wait for T or Sz to come down and get us.
I finish my book and at 8:30 Sz comes down with M and with T and ewe load the van and get in for our5 final road trip to the airport. The airport is quite crowded and we get there at 9:30, which is only 1.5 hours before the flight. But the airport is very small and there is not line or hassle checking in so T, Sz, S and I go to have breakfast. It is a very yummy breakfast but, as with all airport food, it is quite expensive. Even that is not a problem though as we have enough left over euros to cover.
Breakfast is pleasant but expectant. I like to be early to the plane but resign myself into calm because I really do like spending time with T and Sz and I want to make the most of our last few moments. There is no telling when we will see T again and I know I will miss his unusual sense of humor and his eternal good grace.
We all say goodbye before S and I head to the gate. T and Sz will sit around for another hour before she is off. Security is quite easy though I set off the metal detector. I am not sure with what as I have been through with everything (including the bra) before. Maybe it is my shoes as those have not bee through, but there is no metal on my shoes so it is a mystery. An efficient woman whose only word was �under wire� patted me down and then we were off to get onto the plane for the 2-hour flight to Amsterdam.
I slept most of the way to Amsterdam only waking briefly to eat a cheese filled sandwich and to give them my trash. Our flight to the US was on the complete other side of the airport so we made out way there with a few stops. At first we were standing at the wrong gate but I realized that we didn�t really want to go to Detroit so we found the right gate and were grateful for our lateness as the security line was very short. We were some of the last few to board and surprisingly enough there was space in the overhead for my carryon.
I won�t dwell on the 7-hour flight back. I am sure our lack of sleep and the general tiredness from the trip contributed to our feelings about the flight but so did the brat of a girl that was behind us constantly yelling, singing and kicking the back of the seat. S guessed right that the mother was unconcerned but the child did eventually fall asleep only to throw a tantrum when we landed about not wanting to wake up. I did not feel sorry for the child or the mother. Immigration and customs was also a breeze this time and our luggage came out rather quickly and in good order. We had to wait for a very long time for the bus to the cheap lot and then almost didn�t make it back to th4e one where we parked, as it is not a regular stop for the bus. But we made it and S drove us out of the airport right into 5pm rush hour.
Knowing that it would take forever to get home we stopped for a dinner of all American hamburger and milkshakes. I call my mother and sister from the cell phone and tell them we are back. At 7:30 PM we are finally home. G has missed us and meows for the rest of the night. We start laundry and unpack (I am very anal about this as I like to wake up with nothing to do from the vacation). We both shower and get into the fresh clean sheet of our own bed. I fall asleep immediately and have no dream sleeping solidly for 9 straight hours with no worries about getting up to go anywhere to the next day.

No comments: